I’ve been up for about 36 hours now so I’m just going to give you the bullet points:
- jumped on a bus to mount Fuji last night intending to do the climb overnight in order to see the sunrise.
- on the bus I start talking to a bunch of Japanese college students and we all decide to do the climb together.
- leave the “base camp” that’s about halfway up the mountain (right at the treeline) at about 9:00
- made it top at 4:00am, perfect timing to see the sunrise. And talk about a sunrise, it was amazing, words can’t do it justice.
- lo and behold the guys who I was hiking with had brought beer all the way up. So… Beers were drunk… On the top of mt fuji
- somehow I got myself interviewed on the summit by a japanese news team
- afterwards, I was planning on heading to Kyoto but due to a slight public transportation mix up I’m now in a town called Mishima with the option of paying for a $100+ bullet train ticket to Kyoto or going to a nearby beach town for a day or two and waiting for the overnight bus.
- Yep, beach it is.